Environmental Volunteers (EV) seeks a Development Director who will manage all aspects of the development office: annual fund, major gifts, special events, grants, direct mail, and online giving. The Development Director reports to and works closely with the Executive Director to create and implement development strategies and practices that will help EV sustain and grow its operations and fulfill its mission.
The Development Director provides both the overall leadership and the hands-on implementation of EV’s comprehensive development program. The Development Director is accountable for the strategy, implementation and results for all of EV’s contributed income programs including: the annual fund; major gifts program; grant writing; corporate sponsorships; direct mail; legacy giving; donor database management; fundraising events; board giving; and online giving. The Development Director also provides support to the EV’s board development and special events committees as well as assists in recruiting, motivating and training of Board solicitors. The Development Director is a member of the senior leadership team and will likely be able to hire a Development Associate in spring/summer 2018.
About Environmental Volunteers
Environmental Volunteers share the wonders of natural science with children in Santa Clara & San Mateo counties, nurturing their love of nature and environmental stewardship. Our mission is to promote understanding of, and responsibility for, the environment through hands-on science education. We fulfill our mission in three primary ways: a school-based program that reaches over 10,000 students annually; a nature center in the Palo Alto Baylands; and community outreach programs. EV is a volunteer-based organization. Our 125+ volunteers conduct almost all of our programming. We seek a Development Director who will be part of the management team that supports and nurtures our exciting organizational growth.
- Strategy: Develops and implements EV’s fundraising strategies. Presents to the Executive Director an annual development plan, outlining specific goals for each contributed income program. Monitors the development department income and expense budget.
- Grants: Research and submits applications, writes follow-up reports, and develops relationships with grantors.
- Corporate: Develops corporate sponsorship relationships including possible paid volunteer opportunities.
- Special Events: Manages our annual Wake Up to Nature (WUTN) breakfast and all other fundraising events.
- Direct Mail: Implements our summer and fall appeal campaigns
- Board: Guides the board’s work to reach fundraising goals and actively engages the board in fundraising activities, including the identification of new individual and corporate funding prospects. Manages ongoing reporting to the Board of Directors and serves as staff liaison to board development and WUTN committees.
- Relationships: Develops and maintains relationships with individual, foundation and corporate funders.
- Admin: Directs timely and accurate response to donor concerns, requests, and gifts. Supervises the work of the Development Associate. Oversees the management and maintenance of the donor database.
- Ad-Hoc: Perform all other duties assigned by the Executive Director as needed.
- Proven organizational and prioritization skills necessary to manage a small development office to achieve optimal results. Attention to detail a must.
- Ability to motivate and coordinate individuals and groups to support EV’s mission.
- Skilled in using a variety of prospect research tools.
- Ability to develop winning strategies for donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Capital campaign management experience preferred.
- Great communication skills, both written and oral. Recognizes and uses best practices in donor communications, ethics and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated ability to function well as an independent worker and self-starter, team builder, problem-solver and strategic thinker.
We are looking for:
- A warm leader who exudes confidence and care for others, and who builds enduring relationships.
- A person oriented toward the greater good of the organization and the natural environment.
- Someone with a respectful and accessible leadership style, self-assured and comfortable with situations of ambiguity, and able to easily relate to a wide range of constituencies.
- A highly competent team player who finds enjoyment in the work place, and who is honest, open and balanced.
- Someone with a high degree of emotional intelligence.
- Someone comfortable asking others for money, and helping others who are not as comfortable do the same.
- An entrepreneurial and resourceful leader who is able to recognize and act on new and potential opportunities.
- A ‘get-it-done’ attitude who will not only provide strategic direction, but do the nitty-gritty work too.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, nonprofit management or related field; MBA or graduate degree preferred.
- 7+ years of direct fundraising management experience including annual fund, donor prospecting and cultivation, major gifts, capital campaign, planned giving, grant writing and restricted gift management.
- CFRE certification preferred.
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office, DonorPerfect, Salesforce or equivalent database, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat), and Google Suite
- Committed to and enthusiastic about EV’s mission and values. Previous work for environmental and/or educational organizations and organizations serving youth and families is a plus.
- Ability to attend events and networking opportunities, including some evenings and weekends, as needed at the direction of the Executive Director
Salary range starting at $110K. Excellent benefits package including health, dental, 401K match, and life insurance.
Equal Opportunity EmployerEV provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. EV complies with all applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.